Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"Spaceman" Writing Finger Spacers


If you haven't checked out "Sparklebox" it is a wonderful resource for all types of materials. This one in particular is for   "Spaceman" finger spacers. 

There are several different types available (I just show 2) and are great to have in your writing centers. Students love to use them when they are writing and they are great reminders for students to make spaces between words when writing.
Laminate and cut out spacemen. In order to make them sturdy and to hold up to lots of use I strengthen them before putting them in my writing center.
I get some coffee stirrer sticks from McDonalds (they have nice skinny ones) and cut each in half.
I tape the stick firmly to the back of the spaceman. I find that clear tape or packing tape works great. I use a glue dot to tack down the end of the stick on the cutout. This not only makes it sturdier, it makes it easier for little ones to handle the cutout.
Once you are done, you can't even tell from the front that you have added the support.

If you have not had a chance to check out the rest of Sparklebox take some time to do so. You will find lots of wonderful resources for free.
This is a great summer project to have all ready to go for the new year.

As always, thanks for checking in!