Monday, February 18, 2013

The Best Game Pieces EVER!

Here is a wonderful idea to motivate your students to learn and practice.
If you are like me, you have TONS of learning board-type games. In the past we have used various pieces as "movers" or playing pieces. Everything from plastic dinosaurs to math bears.

Something I started doing several years ago has the kiddos so excited to play during workshop or even free time.
I take one of each child's small school photographs (we get a set of 3 or 4 every year) cut around the photo and laminate it. I have a laminator at home that laminates more strongly and stiffly than the one at school. I then use a binder clip for the base, I clip it and then remove the metal "arms".

And there you have it, a wonderful personalized game piece!
We talk about some rules, not allowed to use someone elses' game piece, treat it carefully, don't pull it off the base, etc..
Try it if you have a chance, your students will be begging to play, and any practice is good practice!
More later,
Chery