Monday, April 30, 2012

Organizing Activities

Here is a quick shot of my "Activities Corner" and perhaps you can get an idea or two of some storage options.
You can see my dice, and some of my 'Fix the Sentence' cubes. I hang some larger board games that I made (on posterboard) on the wall, one behind the other.
One of my best finds were these plastic "chinese take-out food" boxes (from the Dollar Tree, of course).  I love that they are lightweight, come in different sizes and hang easily on hooks on the wall.  They are easy for my students to transport to different areas of the room as well.
Here is my suggestion. Whenever you create something for your classroom, think of how many ways it can be used and how it can be created/modified so that you can get the most use out of it.
All of my activity boxes have labels on the front. I try to keep the labels a consistent size.  I attach the labels to the containers with velcro.
They stay on securely, yet I can easily change the game or activity inside and change the name of the center with a quick switch of the cards, and not have to make a new container. I can store the pieces from the center that I am removing in a zip loc bag along with it's label so that it is ready to go for the next time I want to use it.
So scope out some sturdy, multi-sized containers and make them work for you in many different ways. Soon you will have a wonderful array of great containers for your activities, and not have to make them over and over again.
Chery